Mobiscope allows you access to any webcams on from your BlackBerry – for home surveillance or just for fun! No need to purchase any expensive equipment. All you need is a webcam or network camera to record everything that goes on when you are away.
I have to say that I was sort of sceptical about the performance of this product, but those were quickly put to rest.
First off, the installation was a breeze and obviously some considerable time and effort went into streamlining the process. The application is well thought out and easy to navigate.
Like most applications that need to get out to the internet, this one requires you to accept the permissions from the start and every time you access a remote webcam. This is all very normal and I only mention it because this is where I had my ONE issue during installation. We are on a BES (BlackBerry Enterprise Server) here at MobiMadness and the security can be a little limiting. When I first tried installing Mobiscope the setting were rejected.
Here are the steps I undertook to get Mobiscope to work with our BES:
- Install the Application and your first attempt at changing the setting will be rejected
- Open Options, Advanced, Applications
- Find the Mobiscope application and bring up the menu (BlackBerry button on left of trackball)
- Now pick “Edit Permissions”
- Scroll down to section called “User Data”
- Again press the BlackBerry button and pick “Expand”
- Now you should see more individual portions of “User Data”
- Find “Security Data” and change the settting to “Deny”
- Press the “Escape” button (to right of trackball) and save settings
- At this point it may ask you to restart your BlackBerry. If so, do it.
That’s it. Now when your BlackBerry finishes reloading you should be able to run the Mobiscope application.
Although these steps seems rather lengthy, I’m here to tell you that it is well worth it!
Mobiscope is an amazing application and is by far one of the best I have reviewed in some time. Not only does it allow you to input your own webcam information, it also has a lot of webcams from around the world that you can select and be instantly watching. I live in Germany for several years and so I picked Ludwig panoramic and within 10 seconds I was looking at Ludwig from a locally positioned webcam.
Of course viewing one webcam is impressive but Mobiscope actually allows you to view up to 4 at one time and the image quality was amazing. They even include a 4 cam example that instantly pulls up 4 live shots from different webcams.
As if that weren’t enough, the software also lets you get email notifications of motion detected, so you can check in on your home or office when you are away, to see who is snooping through you desk.
Although you may find the price a bit high, trust me when I say it is worth every penny.
Mobiscope gets my first ever 5 out of 5 star rating!